Monday, April 06, 2009

A New Normal

What is normal? for you, for your family? I've been thinking about "normal" alot lately. Our family is not normal. We are not your average run of the mill American family. But maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe there aren't as many "normal" families out there as I think there are. But I've been thinking alot about it, because I tend to look at other families and compare myself, our family, to theirs. I know, bad, bad, bad! I guess I compare myself because I want to be like them. What I see from the outside, the way it looks normal to me, looking at them.

But when I step back a moment, I remember that its ok to be who we are. Didn't God create us this way? Didn't He allow for a reason, for us to have the challenges and adventures that we have had? I am working on embracing who we are, whether it looks normal or not to others. And I'm working on accepting this way of life, this "normal to us" life we live.

I'm letting go of my expectations to be able to do certain things in life that maybe others do. If it doesn't work for our family, then I can let it go. And if something works for us, even tho it might seem strange to others I can accept that too. And go ahead and use it. My life doesn't have to look like yours or hers or theirs. I'm learning to be ok with that. Being a sheep, I would rather be like everyone else. But that isn't what God has called me to be. Not now, maybe not ever.

And just because I'm not like other wives, other mothers, other people, doesn't mean I'm less than, worse off; it just means I'm different. Different can be good.


"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth." Ps 121


1 comment:

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen my friend! You are so right. May we remember that God has different plans for our families and not judge ourselves based on someone else's normal. Thanks for that great reminder!

Yes, I did get your email. Please forgive me for not responding sooner. The last few days have been super crazy. I am way behind on emails and blog reading. I am trying to get caught up. But I have not forgotten about you. I am praying for you my friend! And I will email you back!