Friday, January 22, 2010

My Heart was Broken Yesterday

Last Sunday we visited a church that some friends have started going to. Its a lovely church. The people were friendly, the sermon was inspirational and encouraging to our souls. The music was familiar and we were able to enter into worship with our hearts and souls. But having a child with special needs is always a challenge when going to a new church. Do they have teachers who will accept our boy? Do they have helpers? Do they do enough fun stuff that he won't be bored and act out?

Our friend offered to sit with him until he got comfortable and I took her up on her kind gesture. When she joined us half way thru service, it sounded like he was doing well.

When I picked him up, the teacher asked me some questions about his disability and told me they had a couple issues, but said she would be looking for a helper to sit with him.

So it was with great suprise that I got a call from the teacher yesterday. She was practically in tears as she told me that her church could not accomadate our son and his special needs.

After I got off the phone, I felt my heart shatter as the rejection of our son and of our family dropped full force on my spirit. My soul wanted to cry, but the tears would not come. Tho I had heard much worse horror stories from other families, this was the first time we had experienced such rejection from the body of Christ.

But I hold in my heart that the Lord God Almighty has not rejected my son, nor our family. And he has a church home for us both here in Boise and when we move after graduation.

Til next time ....


3 comments:

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I'm so sorry to hear that my friend. It's so hard when we are hurt by other believers. It hurts on a whole different level. But you're right God has it all under control. I pray many blessings on you and your family!

mommytoalot said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry . That's terrible, yet it is one of the reasons we don't attend our Catholic church, because we were constantly getting told to leave or go in the quiet room because of my son.
My friend attends a Untied church and they have accepted all of my children. they even let Joe stay in the nursery even though he is 9.
I hope soon you'll find a church accepting and understanding.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that. Please try to remember that churches are run by people, not God. Flawed, struggling people. Good luck finding the place you seek