Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why Declutter?

Laura, over at I'm an Organizing Junkie had a great post about purging. She is getting ready to move and has decided to get rid of as much stuff as possible.

I love the 3 questions she raised:

1. Do I really need/love this that I want to PAY to move it? (moving is expensive!)

2. Would I rather deal with all of this stuff now or on the other side of our move where chances are good we’ll be living in a much smaller house?

3. How easy would this be to replace on the other side of our move if I really need to?


This was so good for me since we WILL be moving after Michael graduates. At this point we don't know where we will be heading, but that matters less at this point than the very plain fact that all our stuff will be in boxes and either in storage or moved to our new location.

So for me, I have been pondering question #1 alot. As I declutter, stopping to ask myself if I really want to pay for this to be moved has made it much easier to toss that item. And question #3 has shown me that alot of what I hold onto isn't worth the cost to move since it would be so easy to replace. This is esp helpful in case we have a cross the country move or have to put our stuff in storage for 4-6 months.

So how bout you? Have you moved recently? Planning on moving in the next year? What has helped you in deciding what to keep and what to toss?

Til next time ...


PS: I had another fantastic week of getting rid of stuff. Threw out the broken dvd/vcr and the rest of the vhs tapes, a few old mags and a couple other misc items.

5 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

We learned out lesson when we moved from NJ to GA and payed to store stuff that we didn't use the first year. Then we got rid of it all! We paid so much money to move things we obviously didn't need!

Manuela

Diana said...

I've been working on de-cluttering lately too. I don't have a lot of space in my house, so I want to make sure I'm only hanging onto things I really love.

Rhoni said...

I did much the same thing when I moved from IN to ID. I purged SO MUCH and really, could have purged alot more. But I basically asked the same questions. "Is this worth the storage/moving cost?" (Cause I stored alot of my stuff for almost a year) and "How easy is this to replace?"

Katie said...

I moved back in June and it was a rushed move so I didn't have time to purge like I should have, so I'm doing it now. I can't believe how much stuff I've freecycled or just how much trash got shoved into boxes and came with me. If you check out my blog today, you'll see the stack of boxes I'm tackling this month. It's scary, even for me and I've been looking at it since June!

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you stop by again soon. :)

Katie said...

Yay! You stopped by again. This room, when complete will serve as my craft room and the family office. I am totally embarrassed by those pictures, but I figured they might be the motivation I needed to get in there and tackle it. I spent some time in there today and feel like I've made a small dent. I'm going to be posting an updated picture each Monday to continue to motivate myself.

Now, why haven't you done your craft room? I'm going to be checking back to support you in your 28 day challenge.

*hugs*