Friday, February 12, 2010

5 Blogging Pet Peeves & A Picture

I had a chat with a friend the other day about how to improve my blog. It was great! It really helps to get someone elses opinion and see your blog thru their eyes. I have also been reading some do's and don'ts on what to bring to your blog. Alot of the items resonated with me and my style of blogging. So I thought I'd add a few of my pet peeves of annoying items on otherwise great blogs.

1) Music playing when I visit your blog
This is huge for me. I often have my own music playing while I'm on the computer and to have some other music compete with my music is a whole lot of noise that drives me batty! If I perchance don't have music going, then it comes down to song selection. I visit alot of different types of blogs and I don't always (well, rarely really) like their selection. Not everyone is into Lady Gaga, people! I have also heard that if you are looking at blogs during worktime this can get you into trouble, not that I have that problem, being my own boss and all.

2) Black background
I don't know why, but I really hate black backgrounds. And especially if the contrasting font is low contrast. Blame it on my age, but it bothers my eyes. And I especially hate black backgrounds with lots of blinkies, flashing graphics.

3) Having to click to read the rest of the blog post
Several blogs I read either right from the top or several posts down, give you a intro to the post and then to read the whole post you have to click. I really dislike having to do that. Mainly because then to get back to where I was can be a hassle. I'm not sure why these bloggers like that option, but I don't. I like to skim while I read and if its not worthwhile, I'll skip to the next post. Harder to do when I'm having to click in and out.

4) No Photos
I like pictures! And I like alot of pictures. Big picture, up close, outdoors, inside, doesn't matter to me. So when I read a blog that is primarily words every day, day in and day out, it becomes blase to me. I have been guilty of it myself, neglecting posting pics on my blog, so maybe I'm turning readers away without realizing it! So lets do it, more pics!!!

5)Swearing
I really, really hate hearing foul language: in real life, at the movies, in books and on blogs. It grates against my spirit. And when it is used over and over, it makes me question the persons ability to be creative with language. Something I very much love doing. Swearing is so juvenile, something people use for shock effect or when they don't know what else to say.

So how bout you? What are your pet peeves about blogs?

And here is your superfluous pic of the day:



(can you tell I really, really want a puppy?)

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

One of my pet peeves is too many extras on the site which causes it to load more slowly. Not that I have that much trouble since we have high sped internet but still... Lots of blinking graphics, music and all get on my nerves after a while. Also blogs that are primarily either pictures with no real content or giveaways are annoying to me. I like articles to read.:-) Something I really like in a blog is proper spelling and capitalization of words. It's a blog not a text message!

I think I'm one of the few people that prefers lots of words and reading material to pictures. So I'm much more inclined to do posts with out pictures for that reason and also because I still don't know how to load my own pics onto the computer from the camera so I have to wait until my husband can do it for me. I'm not a great photographer either, but I'm really trying to do a few more pictures because I know most folks like to see pictures.

Trish said...

While I think dark backgrounds can be very visually appealing, I agree it is harder to read on them. I also think pictures are very helpful, although I will still post without one if I can't one that seems to work with the post.

I like the way you broke up your post with headers and a list - I get tired when a post is just one long, unbroken thought!

I do currently have excerpts after the first couple of full posts, so I'll take that one under consideration for a change in the future.

If I could mention one thing about your blog, the current header picture makes it difficult to read the blog title and tagline. It doesn't bother me because I already know you, but a visitor might find that offputting.

I really enjoyed reading this post - thanks for putting it out there!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Ah, how cute!

Yes, you've about summed up some of my pet peeves. The music being one of the biggest. I am terrible about not adding pics to my posts. By the time I finally get them written, I don't usually have time to find a picture. My goal is to plan out my posts and then have time to add a pic. But that hasn't happened yet. One day, maybe...a girl can dream, right?!?!