Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bread Experiment



I mentioned in this post that I was going to dive into my new book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes and that I would be back to let you know how it went.

I made a couple minor mistakes right off the bat, forgetting to cover the bread dough when it was in the fridge and giving it more time than was called for. I don't think either made a huge difference, I scraped off some of the crunchy top part of dough since it hadn't been covered and that seemed to be good enough. The first loaf had a nice feel and my son loved it. I had forgotton what totally white bread tasted like since we rarely have white bread. Next time I make a batch I will definitely be using their whole wheat recipe.

The second loaf did not fair as well. I had a cover for the dough this time, so that was good, but I'm not sure why but it got more of a sourdough taste. Not bad, but the dough/bread didn't bake all the way thru. There were parts that seemed like they were still dough instead of bread. Not sure why that happened. Again, didn't seem to phase my son, he ate it up, but I had to nibble around those areas.

Yes, I will be trying it again, but first I need to find a lid for my mixer bowl or get a new bowl with a lid. And like I said I'll be trying the whole wheat recipe next time and see how that tastes.

So how bout you? Have you been making bread? Tried any new recipes lately? I'd love to hear.

Til next time ....


2 comments:

Rhoni Renee said...

I'm actually making bread tomorrow - just plain white bread though. I have a recipe that was passed down from an older lady in the church where I grew up. It's totally yummy...when I don't get my water too hot & kill the yeast. Well it's still yummy then, just not "bread" exactly.

Sherry C said...

yummy good for you for going to all that effort to make homemade bread. I have to admit I've never made bread in my life.