i found this kitchen questionnaire in the archives of monica's blog and thought it looked really fun...
1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family? we eat about 5-6 dinners at home, i'm trying to up that to 7 days a week but it seems like there is always one or two meals that ends up at a restaurant. for awhile we were having a family pizza nite on fridays out, but i'd like to make pizza more at home. there are 3 of us. hubbie and i eat lunch at home together and #1 son has free b'fast and lunch at school.
2. How many cookbooks do you own? before moving i got rid of ALOT of my cookbooks. i had probably 40-50, now i have about 15-20 and even those i should weed thru.
3. How often do you refer to a cookbook each week? daily!
4. Do you collect recipes from other sources? If so, what are some of your favorite sources (relatives, friends, magazines, advertisements, packages, the internet, etc.)? Yes, I collect recipes, tho less now than when i was first married. i have about 3 notebooks full of recipes off the internet, mags and friends. now i find recipes on the internet i don't print them out.
5. How do you store those recipes? as i said above, i've put alot of them in notebooks. now i'm trying to store them on recipe sites like allrecipes menu box or on my blog.
6. When you cook, do you follow the recipe pretty closely, or do you use recipes primarily to give you ideas? i tend to follow closely until i get the hang of something, then i will branch out and try different things. i've also gotton more comfortable making substitutions when i'm out of an ingredient.
7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it? we love mexican, italian, and asian. i use alot of onion, some garlic, lots of pepper, and other spices
8. What’s your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation? (eating the finished product does not count) i think i enjoy the planning the most. i enjoy looking thru my recipes and figuring out what will make a great meal.
9. What’s your least favorite part? cutting onions if they make me cry!
10. Do you plan menus before you shop? most of the time. tho i've gotton lazy about that of late. i need to get back to it again.
11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances? my crockpot, my vitamix, and my breadmaker.
12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have? probably a freezer, but we have no room in our apt at this time. and i'm ok with that.
13. Since money and space are probably objects, what are you most likely to buy next? probably a new scraper.
14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage? no--=(
15. Grocery shop alone or with others? i almost always go alone. hubby hates to go with me, and the joe-boy is not a good shopper.
16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week? Dinners? Probably zero. Breakfasts are almost always meatless, lunches usually have some sort of meat, tho not always.
17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it? Favorite kitchen colors? at this point i don't have a theme, tho i love the grapevine theme. colors: taupe and dark green
18. What’s the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you? boy, i dont' remember. i remember helping my older sister make pies, i was probably 7 or 8.
19. How did you learn to cook? i got a job at a deli and learned to make soup and sandwiches! then i got married and learned "on the job"
20. Tagging .... anyone who wants to play along!
OOTD and some new bits and bobs.
13 hours ago